Thursday, August 2, 2012

Reflection- Week 7 Assignment 2- Integrating Technology Across All Content Areas

At the start of this master’s course, Integrating Technology Across All Content Areas, I was challenged to develop a GAME plan, (G-Goals, A-Actions, M-Monitor, E-Evaluate) in accordance with The National Educational Technology Standards. My GAME plan consisted of two main goals.  My first goal was to improve collaboration with parents, students, peers and community members using digital tools and resources to support student success and innovation. The second goal was to increase participation in local and global learning communities and to explore creative applications of technology to improve student learning.  

Throughout this process my colleagues along with my weekly resources have helped me modify and adjust my GAME plan to help the plan become more successful and more student driven. One major adjustment was the understanding of different assessment methods. The learning resources introduced me to four methods of assessment; forced- choice, open-ended, performance based and project-based (Cennamo, Ross, Ertmer, 2009, p. 142). Also, one colleague introduced me to an article that focused on parent involvement. The article states that first you should develop a philosophy of parent involvement. The second step is to make sure you have a personable and attractive letter head that invites parents to read your correspondence.  Next, is to keep a parent contact log to see who you reach out to and who responds. (The McClurg Monthly Magazine, 2005). This helped me modify my first goal of creating a newsletter to increase parent involvement. Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer said it best when they said learning to teach generally, and to teach with technology specifically, are lifelong journeys (Cennamo et. al, 2009, p.1).  I can take my idea of the newsletter and turn it into an authentic assessment for my students.  The project based assessment will help my students create their own portfolio and work sample.

As for my second goal I have taken the suggestions of colleagues again that I should have my students work in small groups and create a wiki.  The wiki can be a great tool to teach the students to understand the importance of team work and completing tasks while being physically active. As a physical education and health teacher I want my students to learn how to work with others and to become lifelong learners.  These goals of mine coincide with some of the benefits of online collaboration.  “Online collaboration allows teamwork, allow students to work inside and outside of school and challenges students to perform at a higher level” (Laureate Education Inc., 2010).The students can use the wiki to create a new game and then share it with the rest of the school or other schools if I am able to create a global learning environment. As Vicki Davis states, “The power and the ease to which social networking allows students, teachers, and experts from all over the world to connect and teach each other truly widens the definition of a classroom”(Laureate Education, Inc., 2010).  I think it is an excellent idea.  I am taking physical education and creating an assessment that is not only physically challenging but also mentally challenging all while using a newer form of technology.

Developing a GAME plan and blogging about it was a new, fun and a learning experience for me.  Blogging allowed me to learn from my colleagues, something I can incorporate into my classroom.  By having my students set up GAME plans and blogging I can create more student interaction.  The students can learn from each other using some of the new technology tools learned in this class; social networking, project based assessment and digital story telling.  The GAME plan itself took large tasks and broken them into smaller task which help me realize changes I need to make and the transformation that was taking place.

  
Resources:

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom        use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

Laureate Education, Inc. [Executive Producer]. (2010). Spotlight on technology: Social     networking and online collaboration part I. Integrating technology across the content areas. Baltimore, MD: Author.

The McClurg Monthly Magazine and 14 More Practical Ways to Involve Parents. (2005). Teaching Exceptional Children, 38(2), 46-51.

No comments:

Post a Comment